Software, projects, standards, services and products for data preservation and archives.
- BagIt: a hierarchical file packaging format designed to support disk-based storage and network transfer of arbitrary digital content. Implemantation of the Format are avaialble in Perl, Java Python and other languages. See the specification here: 
- PREMIS: The PREMIS Data Dictionary for Preservation Metadata is the international standard for metadata to support the preservation of digital objects and ensure their long-term usability.
- List of free and open source software by OAD: http://oad.simmons.edu/oadwiki/Free_and_open-source_repository_software
Not included are the following packets:
- ToMaR: a framework that provides a simple and flexible solution to run preservation tools on a Hadoop MapReduce cluster in a scalable fashion. . ToMaR was developed within the EU SCAPE project 
- Dataverse : A web application for Publishing, Citing, Analysing and Preserving Scientific data.
- SCAPE: The SCAPE project developes scalable services for preservation strategies on an open source platform for semi-automated workflows for large-scale complex digital objects .
- DuraSPACE: a collection ot tools used in LTDS .
Commercial Products and Offerings
Preservica : software for archival and preservation. They can implement distributed storage using different storage backends. Standard protocols: OAI-PMH, CMIS, metadata and content via rest acessible. They say they can run (proven) at 500 MB/s (40 TB per day!!)
Rosetta : A software product from the ExLibris company for archival and preservation. They have a public set of APIs in their developer network. They use a storage adaptor to allow different storage systems to integrate with Rosetta.
Arkivum : Offers validated and secure archive storage with 100% !! reliability (backed by insurance). JISC uses Arkivum as archive provider for their national offering: https://www.jisc.ac.uk/data-archiving-framework
- DuraSpace Projects like Fedora Commons have recognised the typicalities of asynchronous access storage. An approach to have asynchronous acces from REST is described  and the current roadmap of Fedora Commons that has asynchronous access to storage on the roadmap .