You can find tutorial slides in PDF format at File:GridKa2012 root proof.pdf.
Please visit this page for complete documentation for this tutorial.
Arsen Hayrapetyan, Martin Vala
ROOT is an object-oriented framework for large-scale data analysis. PROOF, the Parallel Root Facility, is an extension of ROOT which enables interactive parallel large-scale analysis on a cluster. PROOF Lite, a dedicated version of PROOF, allows to analyse the data on a multi-core computer. In the first part of ROOT/PROOF tutorial the participants will be introduced to ROOT and tools for analysis and visualisation of the data on a desktop machine. Participants will learn how to design and use a custom event class for analysis of data stored in ROOT tree structure. This will be followed by the second part where the structure of the PROOF system and tree/selector-based analysis will be explained. Participants will run analysis tasks on multi-core desktop systems and on a dedicated PROOF cluster in practical exercises.
- Login/password provided by School organisers in your personal information sheet to connect to UI (user interface) machines. Machines will have ROOT software installed.
- If you plan to use your laptop instead of UI you should have installed ROOT on the laptop. You can download ROOT here.
Assigned excercise machines
gks-016.scc.kit.edu 18.104.22.168 -> PROOF Master
gks-023.scc.kit.edu 22.214.171.124 gks-032.scc.kit.edu 126.96.36.199 gks-126.scc.kit.edu 188.8.131.52 gks-127.scc.kit.edu 184.108.40.206 gks-128.scc.kit.edu 220.127.116.11 gks-129.scc.kit.edu 18.104.22.168 gks-130.scc.kit.edu 22.214.171.124 gks-131.scc.kit.edu 126.96.36.199 gks-132.scc.kit.edu 188.8.131.52 gks-133.scc.kit.edu 184.108.40.206 gks-134.scc.kit.edu 220.127.116.11 gks-135.scc.kit.edu 18.104.22.168 gks-136.scc.kit.edu 22.214.171.124
- Introduction to ROOT
- Basic ROOT features: Data containers, visualisation, GUI, CLI
- Trees and chains
- Events. Sample event class creation
- Analysis of data stored in a chain
- Introduction to PROOF
- PROOF analysis schema
- Analysing data with PROOF Lite
- PAR files
- Analysis with PROOF
- Using ROOT CLI
- Creation of 1-D histogram with ROOT macro
- Using ROOT GUI
- Creation of a sample event class
- Creation of a tree containing events from previous exercise
- Tree content visualisation
- Creation of a selector for data analysis
- Analysis of the data stored in a chain, locally
- Creation of a PAR file
- Data analysis with PROOF Lite
- Dataset management
- Data analysis with PROOF